I noticed today as I was about to start a different article that my website was looking a bit, well, funny. The layout was wrong, some of the colours were off, the whole thing was a mess. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not at the forefront of design, and won’t win any beauty awards, but it looked awful!
Joomla has announced the release of their open source CMS system, version v3.5.1. The latest version fixes the following issues which were found in v3.5:
- Fix root url sometimes returning empty in canonical URLs
- Fix having to log in twice when user session expires
- Some SMTP emails could no longer be sent due to a bug in the SMTP email server setup
- Session restarts caused PHP Errors
- Fix insertid() returning 0 for the PDO MySQL driver
- Fix the Empty trash and unarchive button not existing for com_banners
A little over a week ago, the Joomla! Project anounced the release of Joomla 3.5. The major advantage this has is that the widely used CMS has PHP7 support, allowing webmasters to upgrade their server installations and take advantage of the performance improvements that PHP7 brings.
The new version comes with an e-mail update plugin to allow site admins to know when there are patches and bug fixes; hopefully they will then patch their sites to the benefit of everyone.
A run down of the listed major changes are:
Open source and widely popular CMS Drupal released a maintenance fix to their 8.x branch a little under a week ago. This release fixes some bugs in the branch, but there’s no security fixes as part of it. The list of changes is available here. The change log also lists April 20th as the release date for Drupal 8.1.0 which should have further fixes and new features.
For those people running a CMS site, keeping up to date with the security and bug fix patches is good practice, and therefore you should look to update as soon as possible.
I’ve left this site languish a little too long with no posts or improvement. It’s time for that to change, so I’ve started some development on the back-end, which will hopefully lead to a better working front end. Here’s a breakdown of what is in development:
- Splitting “versions” of the site out into individual posts rather than one large post
- normalising the database to introduce performance improvements
- re-writing the gallery section completely from the mess it currently is
- Adding some basic internal analytics (though I’ll still be using google analytics)
- Updating the text editor I use for better code formatting
Once that’s done, some of the changes will be obvious on the front end, but I’ll then look at changing front end pages to improve the experience for all.
Enough for now, this code isn’t going to write itself…
I’ve been away for a short time, but it’s easily explainable. I got married! Yup, not all coders are loners; I’m one of them. I got married at the end of May and went on my honeymoon to Mexico a couple of days later. During that time I didn’t use the internet and most other technology where possible. Sure I had my kindle (because no-one travels with a series of books on holiday) and my phone as an MP3 player. It stayed on flightmode for 99.99% of the time (just a text to the folks to say we got there safely).
Hello and welcome to my new website, again. I last changed the site in March 2014, so just over a year ago, and now I’ve done it again. This time, things are a little different though. I’ve ditched Joomla and any other regular CMS, and have rolled my own. I’ve not done this because I think existing CMS products are inferior or rubbish; I actually have quite a lot of respect for them. I’ve done it as an exercise for myself to get used to working in an MVC driven way, more so for when I was in the process of changing jobs (more about that in a different post).
I mentioned back in my blog post for “Yet another change” that I was looking to use CakePHP for a project I had in my head that I wanted to start on. Today I had some time free so I thought I would get set up with CakePHP V3.0, and follow their user guide. I went through the various steps within the tutorial, and when I came to load the page, I was presented with a blank screen. Completely blank, no error message, no indication of what might be wrong, and not even any mark-up. Nothing in the logs folder to guide me. After a while of trying, I decided to use the terminal to see if it could help, so I did the following: