I’ve always wanted to contribute to an open source project, so I thought it was time to finally start. I’ve been investigating different CSS frameworks, and came across Bulma. I saw the contribute link and figured I’d see what issues there were in Github for it, and there was an issue about some typos. I figured that was a good place to start; check if any more remained. I forked and clones the repo to my machine and blasted it through “Inspect Code” option in PhpStorm, but found a different issue to look into, a one not raised currently as an issue, but still as part of the title.sass file. It was to do with the following on line 14:
We all use computers for one thing or another, and in most cases we’ll do the same things on them over and over. Part of being a developer is realising the things which need doing a lot, and automating them to increase productivity. Doesn’t matter what it is, there’s generally a way to automate things.
Whilst on my usual rounds on StackOverflow to help spred useful knowledge of computing and web development I came across the following comments on a thread:
Um… mysql doesn’t connect over http… nor to a directory
Neither should it be an url. Usually it’s
localhostor the IP address of the remote mysql server
I noticed today as I was about to start a different article that my website was looking a bit, well, funny. The layout was wrong, some of the colours were off, the whole thing was a mess. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not at the forefront of design, and won’t win any beauty awards, but it looked awful!
I’ve had the joys recently of being part of a code audit for a potential client for a change or re-build of a system. The code in itself was complete textbook…of how not to code a system. It looked like it had been built long long ago when OO principles didn’t exist, and when no-one knew about security unless they were in that field. Certainly developers knew nothing about security.
Once again I’ve been inspired by a stack overflow question, and it made me think about issues of a shared hosting platform. You know the ones; the “host your site for £2.99 a month” sites. There’s nothing inherently wrong with it (I was using them for a long time until I decided I wanted my own server to play with, and still using one for a different project for the moment), but it brings its own risks. Some of those risks are to do with the infrastructure, others are with the people who are hosted on it.
I was having my usual browse around Stack Overflow today (I really want that Fanatic badge) when I came across this question about fatal errors. The coder in question was getting the following fatal error:
Fatal error: Call to a member function Createuser() on string
The code section in question was
Earlier this week I was looking into RESTFUL web services and how to create them, so I set myself a small project. The idea was to do something very basic, but that could be useful for someone rather than just a proof of concept. i had no real direction. With the news recently being about Apple locked in a battle with the FBI about whether or not they should be breaking their security for the FBI to access data on a particular iPhone, I started thinking about how much bad security I have seen in software applications over the years. From this, I decided to build a web service which would take a hash string, and provide the original string for that hash where possible.
I’ve left this site languish a little too long with no posts or improvement. It’s time for that to change, so I’ve started some development on the back-end, which will hopefully lead to a better working front end. Here’s a breakdown of what is in development:
- Splitting “versions” of the site out into individual posts rather than one large post
- normalising the database to introduce performance improvements
- re-writing the gallery section completely from the mess it currently is
- Adding some basic internal analytics (though I’ll still be using google analytics)
- Updating the text editor I use for better code formatting
Once that’s done, some of the changes will be obvious on the front end, but I’ll then look at changing front end pages to improve the experience for all.
Enough for now, this code isn’t going to write itself…