SVN, or any other version control system for that matter, should always be used when developing code. It doesn’t matter if it’s for a single person project, or a huge project involving hundreds of different developers. Version control is essential.
I’ve recently been approached about a project for me to work on, part-time and on the side. This itself isn’t unusual, but it’s one of a very small minority which I think is a good idea and has some promise. I’ll not go into details about it, as I don’t know the full details of what role I would be involved in, and to what extent, but I had a look into it over the weekend and discovered something which probably affects many small businesses initially, and something which could be disastrous for them. Their SEO sucks.
I’ve been working on an old code base recently, a one which I have inherited, and looking through it I was frustrated at a lot of the code involved. Don’t get me wrong, that’s normal for most programmers when they inherit an old project, but I’m not sure this followed good programming practices from when it was built (about 7 years ago).
As part of the file server set up, I’ve created a Samba share in order to facilitate easily adding files to it form other devices around the house. It’s not been plain sailing, and I’m still not convinced my setup is right, but here’s the
pain steps I went through using the terminal on Debian:
I’ve had my wedding present, a supercar driving experience where I drove a Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911, and an Aston Martin V8.
As you might have seen, I’ve been building, and setting up my home server, and during that time, I had a lot of issues getting things working. Some were from my own stupidity (like installing the GRUB loader on the wrong hard drive so it wouldn’t be read at boot time) and others weren’t so much my fault, but the fact some of the hardware I have doesn’t have open source drivers.
After posting my intention of building a home file server for storing my movies, pictures, music and probably other files, I had to order some new hard drives to give me the space I think I will need. They have now arrived so I get to install those into the case, and then set up the operating system to run everything.
I’ve not forgotten to post about my file server, I just haven’t finished setting it up yet, and therefore haven’t finished the post. I’m running into some issues getting the operating system to work how I want it. It sound picky, but there’s some hardware issues involved too, which are being a pain.
This post is the start of a series on setting up a home file server. There’s lots of them out there, but I wanted to document the process I have gone through so that I have a record of it in future, and so that there is an up-to-date resource somewhere online for doing it.
I’ve been away for a short time, but it’s easily explainable. I got married! Yup, not all coders are loners; I’m one of them. I got married at the end of May and went on my honeymoon to Mexico a couple of days later. During that time I didn’t use the internet and most other technology where possible. Sure I had my kindle (because no-one travels with a series of books on holiday) and my phone as an MP3 player. It stayed on flightmode for 99.99% of the time (just a text to the folks to say we got there safely).